Friday, December 23, 2011

Guard: Lapel Grip to the Back With Sweep Option

I have B in my guard. My left arm is underhooked and grabbing the far lapel across the back.

Step 1: I place my left foot on B's hip and shrimp my hip as if opening up for a pendulum sweep
Step 2: I shoot my right hand underneath my body towards B's far(right knee) so that the back of my hand is resting against the outside of their knee
Step 3: My legs should be positioned as if I am going for a pendulum sweep
Step 4: I go inverted so that my head comes out past B's right knee.
Step 5: Using the momentum from my left leg, and using my hand against the knee, I come up onto B's back
Step 6: I use my body weight to pull B onto their side so I have a S mount

If the initial back take fails, I can go for a pendulum sweep/armbar

When going to the back it's important to use my right leg to block B's left leg. The top of my foot comes across their thigh so that when I go to the back it is easier for me to sweep because I am blocking their base. The action to sweep them over is simply a hip switch so my right hip comes forward as my left goes back. It is also important to have a very deep grip on the lapel.

No comments:

Post a Comment